If you’re looking for the best place to retire cheap, I’m going to recommend Asia. Asia is a huge place, and I know that you’re thinking,”But where in Asia?” You’re also wondering why Asia? Here’s my comprehensive list.
ASIA IS MASSIVE
- There’s just so much to see, and it’s so different as you go from place to place.
- Every country is different. Read my previous articles for an in depth look at each country.
- Once you get to Asia, flight choices are mind boggling. I like using Skyscanner to see where I’ll be going next.
VISA RUNS ARE CHEAP
- On average a flight is about $150. You really can’t complain about that.
- Once you get here you can easily do Visa runs by planes, trains, boats or even car.
- Most countries in Asia are only a few hours away from each other by plane. You’ll have no problems doing one day runs.
ENGLISH IS A PREVALENT LANGUAGE
- Each country I’ve gone to in Asia has spoken English. Depending on where, the fluency and proficiency differs. So far Hong Kong has the best spoken English, while Thailand and Kuala Lumpur the worst.
- Signs, signs, everywhere there are signs. The amount of signage and notifications in English you’ll see will differ. I’d say there are no problems figuring things out though 80% of the time.
COST OF LIVING IS LOW
- See my cost of living reports for detailed cost amounts. Most of the places I’ve been to here can fit in the $1000 a month mission.
- South East Asia gets you so much more for your dollar than North America does. $6 massages, $1 beers and $2 lunches exist. You just have to come to Asia.
VIBRANCY AND CULTURE IS LIVELY
- Every country in Asia is different, but I’ve noticed one thing. It all feels so alive. Millions of people just living their lives add a hustle and bustle you might not see back home.
- If you immerse yourself in the culture you won’t regret it. You can retire here and really fit in, or you can just sit on your patio drinking cheap beers. The choice is yours, but I’d recommend immersing yourself in the culture as much as possible if you don’t want to be isolated and lonely. I’ve written a few articles about that as well.
- Such scenery and choices. There are little isolated beaches or condos with pools, the choices are yours about where you’re going to stay.
I hope this article helped you with your quest of finding the best place to retire cheap. I am loving exploring Asia as my retirement hub, and think you should too. Scroll to the bottom of the page for more tips and articles on finding the cheapest places to retire. And if you liked the article, please share on social media (I’d love it if you did!)