You’re travelling the world looking for the best country to retire cheap, and the worst thing in the world happens. You lose your passport. It might be stolen, you might have it destroyed in an accident or you could lose it on a boat like my friend Romus did. It doesn’t matter. As soon as you realize it’s not there where it’s supposed to be you are going to feel like vomiting and passing out. Follow these steps BEFORE you lose your passport to make the loss not as earth shatteringly bad.MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A COPY OF YOUR PASSPORT
- Make a photocopy of your passport. Put this paper copy in a separate area from where you keep your regular passport.
- Take a photo on your phone.
- Send the picture to yourself via email.
GET A COPY OF THINGS YOU’LL NEED AHEAD OF TIME
- Birth Certificate. That’s right. In this age of finger prints, biometrics and dental scans you’ll still need a paper birth certificate. Gross, I know. You can get this from a registry thankfully and don’t have to go to a government office.
- 2 Passport photos. One of which needs to be signed by a guarantor.
- The PDF application signed by a guarantor. Go to the government of Canada website for this.
- A drivers license, or other valid government ID. This is on top of your other ID
NOW WHAT?If you’re super smart and have followed these steps ahead of time you’ll probably never ever have to use them but now you’re super prepared in case of emergency! I hope this article helped you with your quest of finding the best country to retire cheap.(And that you’ll never lose your passport!) Scroll to the bottom of the page for more tips and articles on finding the cheapest places to retire. And if you liked the article, please share on social media (I’d love it if you did!)Want more articles? Go here! LINK TO ALL ARTICLES