I’m assuming you’ve read my Part 1 guide. (If not, go check it out.)
These following 4 tips are only to be used once you’ve mastered the haggling strategy I’ve already given shown you in part 1
- Eavesdropping on hawkers while they haggle with another customer gives you valuable information and intelligence. If you know what the final real price was it can definitely help you out. Don’t just offer what the last guy paid though, chances are he’s also a tourist and not a master haggler like you.
HAGGLE WITH 8’s AS YOUR LAST NUMBER
- When you’ve come to the final number you think you can get. Throw the price in with a 8. Instead of $100, $98. Tell them it’s lucky. This really works if you or the seller are Chinese.
- After all the prices are settled , but BEFORE paying ask “how much for 2?”
- This technique works great with “fixed price no haggling” signed vendors
- When haggling, have fun and do it with a smile. You both you’re playing the game. No need to be thinking they’re trying to rip you off.
- If you have haggled properly the hawker should have a rueful “I can’t believe I sold it that cheap face” not a gigantic “I can’t believe he bought it for that smile”
I hope this article helped you with your quest of finding the best country to retire cheap. Scroll to the bottom of the page for more tips and articles on finding the cheapest places to retire. And if you liked the article, please share on social media (I’d love it if you did!)