Cali, Colombia is the Salsa capital of the world. And since group classes are free, at the hostel I’m staying at, I decide to give it a try.
Here’s the thing about free salsa lessons. They are free, and therefore it was packed with people! Don’t expect too much personal attention. (The last time I saw so much human meat packed into a room, I was at a swingers club in Vancouver.)
Salsa is surprisingly fun though. (And not a bad little workout) Here’s some tips I learned
- There are some basic steps, once you master those you can start doing lots.
- Hips. They seem to move them a lot. And yes guys, you look ridiculous.
- I will never do this out in public. No way.
- I can’t turn left, just like Zoolander (see the movie). Seriously. I can’t. (I attribute this to never doing spinning back kicks from that side. Also being Zoolander)
- If you want to get good? Grab a partner, and get some private lessons. You can get them for roughly 300 000 COP ($150 CDN) for 10 hours.
I hope this article helped you with your quest of finding the best country to retire cheap. Scroll to the bottom of the page for more tips and articles on finding the cheapest places to retire. And if you liked the article, please share on social media (I’d love it if you did!)